Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Reaction to Waste Land

Reaction:  After watching Waste Land Documentary, I feel really inspired.  Inspired, in a way that makes me feel like I can make a difference.  Whether it is changing my own life or changing other people's lives. I learned from this documentary, that anything is possible.  In Waste Land, almost everyone presented, was changed; Vik and all the people he had associated with came from a low middle-class, or very low class position, but art had allowed them to opened their eyes.  They learned that they can be something bigger than themselves; something better.


Thoughts (in the beginning):  In the beginning of Waste Land, I really thought this was just about a famous artist who was going to make art out of trash, and maybe meet a few people while working.  But, no, this story was about this man who wanted to show a story through his art (even though he may not have known he was doing that in the beginning).  He got to know these people, who in some ways, are like himself.  Vik had gotten attached to every single one of the people he came in contact with; all of their stories touched his heart, and because of that this story really touches everyones' hearts who watched this.


In what specific ways do you think Vik Muñiz help the people of Jardim Gramacho?-Did the film make you think about how much garbage you produce on a daily basis?Do you think you will change the way in which you consume and dispose of goods as a result of watching this film?:
Vik Muniz really helped the people of Jardim Gramacho.  He helped them by showing them, that they are not just pickers, not worthless, not lower than anyone else.  Muniz helped them open their eyes to the world.  Let them see that what they dream to come true, can come true.  He allowed them to think of the "impossible", possible.  This movie really showed me how much garbage is produced from each person everyday.  Also, how much I probably produce everyday..... which is alot; since it includes, food, tissues, and other products.  Truthfully, I don't think I can really change my amount of garbage/ consumption of food.  But, now I will be more alert of how much I take/consume and throw out.


-What other areas of society (American or otherwise) could be highlighted in Vik Muñiz's artistic way? 
Other areas of society that could be highlighted in Vik Muniz's artistic way could be, children who are working in horrible conditions.  Many of the pickers, did not become a picker by choice, and at times they were born into the work of picking.  I think we could highlight children who were grown into picking and learn their stories, struggles, hopes and dreams.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment